Stories. Questions. Different perspectives.
Browse WAURE
← Advice & Questions
Career / Work · Advice & Questions ·

One employer wants my answer before another has finished interviewing me. What can I honestly ask for?

Career / Work category photographCareer / Work

The first company wants a decision by Thursday. The second has scheduled its final interview for next Tuesday.

I have a written offer for an administration role I could see myself doing. The team seemed kind, and the work is clear. The other role includes more project coordination, which interests me more, but I don’t have an offer from them.

I told the second recruiter about the Thursday deadline. She said they would see what they could do, then kept Tuesday’s appointment. I haven’t asked the first company for extra time.

I’m tempted to say I have another offer so they take the request seriously. That wouldn’t be true. I’m also worried that asking for more time will make the first team think I don’t want the job at all.

How would you request an extension honestly? If the dates don’t move, how do you decide between a job you’ve actually been offered and one you’re still imagining?

Discussion

2 community replies

You can say you’re still completing another recruitment process and ask whether the deadline can move to a specific date. You don’t need to turn the interview into an offer. Thank them for the role and explain that you want to make a considered decision. They may still need an answer on Thursday.

Judge the first job on whether you would want it if the second process ended without an offer. That won’t resolve everything, but it separates an acceptable role from one you’re considering only because it is available now. The project-coordination role can remain attractive without becoming a guaranteed alternative in your comparison.

Join the discussion

More in Career / Work