How do I push back when a coach says my son should decide whether he's fit to play?
Parenting"He's twelve. He can tell us if he feels okay," the coach said after my son hit his head in a match and told me he felt dizzy.
I kept him out and arranged medical assessment. He won't return to sport until a healthcare provider clears him. [CDC HEADS UP guidance says to remove an athlete when concussion is suspected, keep them out that day and leave return-to-sport decisions to a healthcare provider](https://www.cdc.gov/heads-up/response/index.html).
My son is upset about missing a tournament. The coach has since messaged that he "looked fine on the bench" and that our son can speak for himself at the next practice. My son says he doesn't want to be the player whose parent makes a fuss. He had already told me about the dizziness, and I don't want him learning to keep the next symptom quiet.
I can accept that the team now has a gap. I can't accept appearance on the bench as clearance. How would you respond to the coach and help my son stay connected to the team while the medical decision is pending?