Real people. Real opinions.
Browse WAURE
← Explore
Career/Work ·

The recruiter wants an answer before showing me the benefits

Career/Work category photographCareer/Work

The recruiter called at 4:40 on Friday and said the company was ready to make an offer.

She gave me the title, base salary, and proposed start date. Then she asked whether I could “verbally accept” before she sent the written package.

I said I wanted to review the benefits, paid time off, health-plan costs, and any conditions attached to the offer. She replied that the written details normally go out after a candidate confirms they are comfortable moving forward. She also said the hiring manager hoped to wrap up the search that day.

The salary is within the range we discussed. The job itself interests me. Nothing about the recruiter’s tone was threatening. That is why the request is difficult to evaluate. It sounds like a harmless administrative step, but it asks me to make the decision before seeing part of what I am deciding about.

I asked whether a verbal yes would be treated as binding. She said, “Not legally—just an indication of good faith.” I am not looking for a legal argument. I am trying to understand why good faith seems to require the candidate to move first.

Benefits matter in my situation. I cover my spouse on my current plan, use several prescriptions, and have already met part of this year’s deductible. I do not expect a recruiter to calculate my household costs. I do expect enough information to compare the offer as a whole.

There is also a start-date question. They want me in three weeks. My current employer expects four weeks of notice from people at my level, although it is not a contract requirement. I may decide that three weeks is workable. I do not want to decide while someone is waiting on the phone for the word yes.

I told the recruiter I was enthusiastic and could respond within one business day after receiving the complete written package. She sounded disappointed and said she would check whether it could be released without a verbal acceptance.

Now I am wondering whether I created a problem where none existed. Maybe this is simply how their process works. But a process can be normal inside one company and still be unreasonable for the person outside it.

Would you treat the request as a minor recruiting habit, or as useful evidence about how the company handles pressure and information? What is the cleanest way to stay interested without agreeing before the full offer exists?

Discussion

3 community replies

@NextReview

The response already given is enough: enthusiasm, a specific review window, and a request for the complete package. No accusation is needed. A genuine offer should remain discussable long enough for the candidate to read what it contains.

@MorganSays

The recruiter’s reaction to a one-business-day review period is information. A routine process can adapt. If urgency matters more than informed consent at the offer stage, the candidate should notice that without assuming every future interaction will be identical.

@softfocus

Ask for the written salary, classification, reporting line, work location, start date, contingencies, paid leave, and benefit summaries. The goal is not exhaustive negotiation before seeing the offer; it is preventing a partial headline from becoming the decision.