Our tennis organiser says the court fee is wasted if we cancel for heat. How should we decide?
SportsWhen I suggested moving our doubles match, the organiser replied, "The court is already paid for. Bring extra water." We have a two-hour outdoor booking at 2 p.m. The local forecast has an extreme-heat warning for that afternoon, and the court has no shaded playing area.
The $48 booking can't be refunded under the terms we agreed to. One player has swapped a work shift to come. I understand why they don't want another cancelled weekend, but I'm uneasy about letting those arrangements decide whether we play.
I looked at the [US National Weather Service explanation of heat forecast tools](https://www.weather.gov/safety/heat-index). It explains that heat index assumes shade and light wind, while WBGT also accounts for conditions including sun and wind. The [CDC's heat guidance](https://www.cdc.gov/heat-health/about/index.html) recommends shade, breaks, and cooler times for outdoor activity during high heat risk. I'd like us to check the venue's heat policy as well.
I'd prefer to absorb my share of the booking and find another date. How can our group make a decision based on local warnings and venue conditions, without turning it into a vote on who's tough enough or making the organiser personally carry every cancellation cost?